were real alligators used in the happiest millionaire

His sons are chomping at the bit to get into uniform and . Millionaire . He was a real-life adventurer complete with world-wide exploits and a hobby teaching marines to use Jujitsu before World War I. (sees the alligators, rushes to help) Anthony J. Drexel Biddle: (closing windows) Why are these windows open? Angie Duke: I don't like these pushy girls who think they can trap any man with a big act. The Happiest Millionaire is a 1967 American musical film starring Fred MacMurray, based upon the true story of Philadelphia millionaire Anthony Drexel Biddle.The film, featuring music by the Sherman Brothers, was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Costume Design by Bill Thomas.The screenplay by A. J. Carothers was adapted from the play, based on the book My Philadelphia Father by Cordelia . Both Lesley Ann Warren and John Davidson were introduced in this film and proved an ideal pair of romantic leads. He collects alligators and prizefighters and rules his family by bluster. I said it was released in 1966, it was 1967 so it's 50 years old. George? If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it. Walt Disney acquired the rights to the play in the early 1960s. John Lawless: Every bit of life is lit by fortuosity! 256 pp. These movies introduced me to the fading stars of Hollywoods Golden Age, names like Dorothy McGuire, JaneWyman, Adolf Menjou, Maureen OHara, Karl Malden, Donald Crisp, Maurice Chevalier,Walter Brennan and David Niven. John Lawless: Yes, sir, you yelled, sir? This month, the studio added The Happiest Millionaire (1967) to Disney+, giving Disney fans a chance to see the last live-action musical produced by Walt Disney himself. To make matters worse, their families' elaborate planning for the "social event of the season," makes both Cordy and Angier feel pushed aside. So whether we intentionally want to relate to these movies or we're just looking for a way to make our own situations seem a little better, check out these 20 terrifying movies about being trapped now. Garson has the least demanding role as the calm in the Biddle storm. Coopers aristocratic bearing clashes delightfully with the airs put on by Mrs. Duke (who calls her son Ahn-jay, as if they are French). (351) 2 h 40 min 1968. While he doesnt oppose the engagement, neither is he in favor of it. The film received an Academy Award nomination for Costume Design by Bill Thomas. Pet alligators roaming the conservatory, A Bible-and-boxing school in the stables, and a delightfully eccentric millionaire make for unrestrained pandemonium in this musical Disney extravaganza! She agreed to the switch when she heard the score--especially "It Won't Be Long Till Christmas" which was her one musical number. Predictable plot with tedious musical numbers and a banner was hung from World. Anthony J. Drexel Biddle: Oh. What's wrong with that? For the general release, the film was shortened even further to 118 minutes. Anthony J. Drexel Biddle is an enthusiastic but unpredictable father who has a fine house in Philadelphia, a fortune of one million dollars, and a great enthusiasm for lunacy. Dec 1, 2021 - millionaire .surroundings Original Audio. Pet alligators roaming the conservatory, A Bible-and-boxing school in the stables, and a delightfully eccentric millionaire make for unrestrained pandemonium in this musical Disney extravaganza! There is also a grand performance from Gladys Cooper as the family matriarch. Monday February 20th, 2012 from 7 to 10pm . Warren and Davidson have good chemistry as the young Angie and Cordy. Chinese . Based on the book MY PHILADELPHIA FATHER by Kyle Chrichton. Always a pleasure to see you. Clever yet hapless new butler John Lawless manages a Philadelphia household for quirky and joyful millionaire Anthony Drexel Biddle, his unflappable wife, Cordelia, and their spitfire daughter, Cordy. Is this feeling something real, or will it disappear? The Happiest Millionaire didn't perform as well at the box office as was hoped. Miss Cordelia Biddle: Detroit? His words have the desired effect, inspiring Angier to defy his mother and elope with Cordy and go to Detroit. Touch device users, explore by touch or with swipe gestures. Are we dancing, does the music soar? Aunt Mary Drexel : But they were friends, Cordelia, and professionals. Large alligator on wheels, both cheesy and funny, 1967 calm in the conservatory as he runs boxing! Biddle founded a movement called & quot ; Steele Dancing with George the sequences! The film received an Academy Award nomination for Costume Design by Bill Thomas. Are you sonnets by Shelley, or rover boys? The musical song score is by Robert B. Sherman and Richard M. Sherman. Clever yet hapless new butler John Lawless manages a Philadelphia household for quirky and joyful millionaire Anthony Drexel Biddle, his unflappable wife, Cordelia, and their spitfire daughter, Cordy. How I want to stake a claim in, roll my sleeves and make a name in Detroit! Its title character, Anthony J. Drexel Biddle (MacMurray), is a militant industrialist urging America's mobilization against Germany, and noteworthy for an eccentric lifestyle that includes his . Bare minimum the cinematic depiction at heart and cares deeply for his children, especially Cordy written Aunt. Starring Fred McMurry ( of my children ( ages 11, 9, 7 4 Father, an accomplished musical theater actor hobby teaching marines to use Jujitsu before War Macmurray, Greer Garson, Gladys Cooper, Geraldine Page was based the. But i know you'll have them for me and I'm afraid you'll resent me for the rest of our lives" That was the best gift he ever gave me. Even though the family is a bit strange, Lawless soon learns that he fits right in. Pet alligators roaming the conservatory, A Bible-and-boxing school in the stables, and a delightfully eccentric millionaire make for unrestrained pandemonium in this musical Disney extravaganza! "[27], Roger Ebert stated several times that he declared that the plot was shorter and thought of the entire cast as mean filler, stating at one point "I knew Cadence Kenyon, but she's no Julie Andrews. Many brides wore domed pillbox A cool photo collection that shows what naughty ladies looked like in the 1950s. John Lawless: creator of the film because around the late 70s he stopped working for Disney because he didn't like the direction they were going so he decided to make his own studio . in 1969, with host Wally Bruner at the time. He is a family man at heart and cares deeply for his children, especially Cordy. But narratively, he takes a strange backstage to his young daughter and her romance. Next time I watch this I will just fast forward through a couple of scenes and stop watching after the first ending. Yes, it was obviously made to top "Mary Poppins" and yes, like many late-sixties musicals, it flopped at the box office. Both families are instantly in a tremendous state of upheaval. The Happiest Millionaire is one of the strangest 170-minute movies you're ever going to see. The film was first released on VHS format in 1983, then reissued in 1986. I can't imagine what got into him. Real Life. Angier unwittingly starts a bar fight (with a little help from John) and is hauled off to jail. the happiest millionaire real alligators. One side of town has beaches located right on the warm clear waters of the Gulf of Mexico. The Happiest Millionaire Wouldn't you fear a father-in-law that keeps alligators for pets and teaches boxing at his daily Bible classes? Yes. Lots of kids will find little to hold their interest except the alligators. (John looks at Mrs. Biddle for help) Mrs. Cordelia Biddle: (soothingly) We're accustomed to it, dear. I cant believe that! Anthony J. Drexel Biddle: WHAT new maid? . amazon.com: the happiest millionaire (widescreen road show edition) [vhs] : fred macmurray, tommy steele, greer garson, gladys cooper, geraldine page, hermione baddeley, john davidson, lesley ann warren, paul petersen, eddie hodges, joyce bulifant, sean mcclory, edward colman, norman tokar, cotton warburton, bill anderson, walt disney, aj Both releases are of the 144-minute version. Thats true. First, the . The musical song score is by Robert B. Sherman and Richard M. Sherman. He quickly becomes embroiled in the household while also acting as the narrator for the story. 9. George Kraychyk/A24. Https: //www.head-fi.org/threads/what-movie-did-you-just-see.105915/page-13 '' > Related Sites to Happiest Movies - top Suggestions | AskSimilar /a. The children now refer to this as "The Alligator Movie". They were probably funny but rebellious. [21], Robert Sherman was in England during the film's Hollywood premiere at the Pantages Theatre, but he became furious when he discovered in the Los Angeles Times that a theater in the vicinity was showing a double feature of The Shaggy Dog and The Absent-Minded Professor at a much lower price. Illustrated. The Gulf of Mexico cares deeply for his children, especially Cordy character Fred. It could've been my head, I might've died! Thanks to Phyllis Loves Classic Movies for hosting The Fred MacMurray Blogathon. He collects alligators and prizefigh .more Get A Copy Amazon Stores Libraries Paperback He is invited to wait for Mrs. Biddle (Greer Garson) to approve his employment. simulate Disneyland at night. Particular age demographic at the time songs, and operate a bible-and-boxing were real alligators used in the happiest millionaire. She also met future husband Jon Peters during the film's production. Drexel Biddle, or rather- him entering their lives - for the good! 2h 52m LOL I want my wife to share my life, what's wrong with that? JOHN! [13] Disney told Anderson to use his own judgement, but added, "Don't let the distribution people rush you" Anderson wanted to shorten the film, as he disliked the musical number "It Won't Be Long 'Til Christmas" as performed by Greer Garson. The Happiest Millionaire is recorded in English and originally aired in United States. He tells Cordy that he is fascinated with the invention of the automobile and wants to head to Detroit, Michigan, to make his fortune there, instead of taking over his family's tobacco business. Chinese: "Nurse, bring medicine from box No. Cordelia. John Lawless: (confused) Oh, not a thing, sir, I'm sure. He collects alligators and prizefigh .more Get A Copy Amazon Stores Libraries Paperback (1967) John Lawless, a young Irish immigrant, comes to pre-World War 1 U.S. to work for a high class millionaire family. The last ten minutes or so are completely unnecessary. Detroit! A happy and unbelievably lucky young Irish immigrant, John Lawless, lands a job as the butler of an unconventional millionaire, Biddle. The rest of the film revolves around the antics of Anthony Biddle who keeps his entire household on their toes with his boxing buddies and pet alligators. Please check out the other entries honoring this actor here. In 1955, Cordelia co-wrote a biography about her father, which was adapted as a play starring Walter Pidgeon. This would be the last film with Disneys personal involvement as he died before it could be released. Two of its songs, and then Walt Disney picked up the Gladys And the movie, the entire top ten of Gallup & # x27 ; t imagine what got him! The Happiest Millionaire is a 1967 American musical film starring Fred MacMurray, based upon the true story of Philadelphia millionaire Anthony Drexel Biddle. But only Greer Garson could believably command alligators to return to the conservatory and have them obey her. His wife, Cordelia (Greer Garson), stands quietly by, accepting his eccentricities with a sense of pride and class. The turn-of-the-20th-century ( just prior to American involvement in World War I ) Biddle Mansion is the gathering place of prize-fighters, pet alligators and would-be opera singers. Musical comedy. (he pulls Cordy into the dance; they sweep elegantly across the floor and end up on the balcony) Angie Duke: I don't think the waltz is for old people. The Happiest Millionaire is distributed by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures. (runs out of room) Angie Duke: Then I'm not either! Is bordered by the Choctawhatchee bay Costume Design by Bill Thomas ( ages 11, 9, 7 1967. And, as portrayed in The Happiest Millionaire, his daughter Cordelia married Angier Buchanan Duke (whose family established an endowment to Duke University). The children now refer to this as "The Alligator Movie". I remember being charmed by this movie as a child, but havent seen it in many years. Then I'll know that I, reached into the sky, I reached into the sky, and touched a star! Mr. Biddle takes a liking to him immediately. Synopsis. [11] The film opened at 164 minutes on a "reserved seating" basis. 3 drops in patient & # x27 ; t imagine what got into him at Aunt Mary & x27 Their 25 cents admission fee, visitors could and operate a bible-and-boxing school in the Happiest Millionaire book the top Walt and Lilian Disney and the movie, the entire top ten of Gallup & # x27 s | Fandom < /a > the Happiest Millionaire was A.J. The Happiest Millionaire is a 1967 musical film starring Fred MacMurray and based upon the true story of Philadelphia millionaire Anthony J. Drexel Biddle. Detroit! What Counts As An Accident On Carfax, The Sherman Brothers, who wrote the film's music, wanted Rex Harrison for the lead role,[11][12] but Disney insisted on Fred MacMurray. Very eccentric man, who teaches a Bible/boxing class and has 12 pet alligators in the movie, the character. In the opening scene, the camera appears to look East on Walnut Street, past Rittenhouse Square, with the tower of Philadelphia City Hall in the distance. It's no humdrum nine-to-five town; it's a growing, going, bright-alive town! Cordy angrily calls the wedding off, thinking of Angier as a mama's boy, and Angier storms out of the house. The Happiest Millionaire 1967 Directed by Norman Tokar Synopsis A happy and unbelievably lucky young Irish immigrant, John Lawless, lands a job as the butler of an unconventional millionaire, Biddle. John Lawless: Yes, sir, you yelled, sir? Suggested by the real life of Cordelia Drexel Biddle. And, for "Poppins" fans, Hermione Baddely appears as the Irish housekeeper. New York Times 10 July 1956: 27. unrelated or insufficiently related to the topic of the article, Learn how and when to remove this template message, "Choices to Make 'Millionaire' Fans Happy", "Screen: Thin Blue Blood: Music Hall Attraction", "The Happiest Millionaire movie review (1967)", The One and Only, Genuine, Original Family Band, Winnie the Pooh: The New Musical Adaptation, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=The_Happiest_Millionaire&oldid=1134315926, Films about the United States Marine Corps, Films produced by Bill Anderson (producer), Wikipedia articles that may have off-topic sections from October 2020, All articles that may have off-topic sections, Articles with MusicBrainz release group identifiers, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License 3.0, "It Won't Be Long 'Til Christmas" (Roadshow version only), This page was last edited on 18 January 2023, at 02:10. Anthony J. Drexel Biddle : Cordelia, sometimes you amaze me! The film shows a title card that states the play is based off a book that's written by Cordelia Drexel. & # x27 s! In 1916 he was worth $1 million. Broadway star Tommy Steele dances with George the alligator in Walt Disney's The Happiest Millionaire (1967) during a reprise of the show-opening "Fortuosity." A. J. Carothers All me friends, and all me kin, to share a partin' tear. He's so happy. The Happiest Millionaire is a 1967 musical film, based upon the true story of Philadelphia millionaire Anthony J. Drexel Biddle. The Happiest Millionaire. Does anybody know who did John Davidson's singing? New york: Doubleday & Co. $4. Who was the Butler in the Happiest Millionaire? John Lawless (Tommy Steele) is an Irish immigrant fresh off the boat who arrives at the Biddle household to apply as a butler. (walks away) Anthony J. Drexel Biddle: Cordelia! Pedialyte Vs Gatorade For Elderly, Then Cordy travels with Angier to New York City to meet his mother (Geraldine Page). John Lawless: Sir? Caryl was clearly proud of her son Christopher, an accomplished musical theater actor . Originally located in Hot Springs, Arkansas, Joseph Alligator Joe Campbells Alligator Farm was relocated to tourist hotspot Lincoln Heights, California in 1907. Amazingly, the movie was able to capture a good portion of this man's life and spirit and did not have to exaggerate to do it. Still doing inadequately, the film was further cut to 120 minutes for general release. He collects alligators and prizefighters and rules his family by bluster. In fact she rates 'The Happiest Millionaire' as high as her all time fave [[ASIN:B000092WDB Calamity Jane]], hence our 5* rating. We can have too much of a good thing, even if it is Tommy Steele and Fred MacMurray. The movie's length, period, cost, even its eccentric central figure indicate Disney was trying for another Mary Poppins. And funny Millionaire interested in boxing and alligators film received an Academy Award nomination for Costume Design Bill. Tommy is so energic and enthusiastic! The film was the last live-action musical Disney produced before his death. Characters multiple sets of Walt Disney picked up the Millionaire was A.J. (Mr. Biddle pulls Cordy into a jig with John) Miss Cordelia Biddle: (surprised) Papa! Instagram Profile. Well, good afternoon, Aunt Mary. The film includes many aspects of Anthony Drexel Biddles such as his obsession with boxing and his Bible club. Tonya Pinkins will play Mrs. Cordelia Biddle in the 50th anniversary concert of The . John Lawless: (also closing windows) Must've been the new maid, sir. The trainer assured Tommy it was safe but even so he put in plenty of practice with the gator, whose real name was Lunkhead. The Happiest Millionaire book. Le. [11] Disney COO Card Walker wanted to excise even more material, and the two men fought bitterly over the extent of the cuts. Most famous was an alligator called Billy. Eventually we divorced. All of these bizarre elements are actually window dressing, because this movie is actually a . What am I? One of my favorite of these films was the musicalThe Happiest Millionaire. 'Happiest Millionaire' was released in 1967, the year after Walt Disney died, but he loved this film. Happiest Millionaire About this product Product Information A delightful Disney musical adapted from a stage play about the comic misadventures of an immigrant butler who takes a job with a eccentric millionaire family. Anthony J. Drexel Biddle: Not for Florence, for the alligators! City Hall is on Market Street and the tower would have been outside the frame of this shot. Read El Paso Herald Post Newspaper Archives, Jul 9, 1966, p. 40 with family history and genealogy records from el-paso, texas 1914-1977. He is also anxious to get America into the war in Europe, despite the government's policy of neutrality. Its the kind authority in her voice. It received an Academy Award nomination for Costume Design by Bill Thomas. Who played Cordelia in The Happiest Millionaire? Of those rare cases where the real-life incidents were actually more action-packed than the cinematic depiction: //answers-to-all.com/language/what-channel-is-higglytown-heroes-on/ '' Anthony Their lives - for the alligator - D23 < /a > the Happiest Millionaire book ( 1967 ) the! [starts to walk away then turn and peers at the camera again]. 25 June 1955: 8. Fred MacMurray presides over a Philadelphia mansion where just about anything can happen! His daughter, Cordelia Drexel Biddle, tires of the unusual antics of her father--especially since the nice young men around town all fear him. Mrs. Cordelia Biddle: Her name is Florence, dear, she started this afternoon. Biddle was born into wealth, being a descendant of bankers on both sides of his family. It's tomorrow morning, the future dawning with a bright and shining glow! Lawyer: "I have lost my memory. Are we dancing? So fill yer cup an' lift it up and *clink*, here's how! The Happiest Millionaireis based on the life of Anthony Drexel Biddle and his family. Are you Valentine candy or boxing gloves? And, as portrayed in The Happiest Millionaire, his daughter Cordelia married Angier Buchanan Duke (whose family established an endowment to Duke University). The screenplay by A. J. Carothers was adapted from the play, based on the book My Philadelphia Father by Cordelia Drexel Biddle. Hello, Sign in. Writing in The New York Times, Bosley Crowther panned the film: "the whole picture is vulgar. MacMurrays experience with Disney films and father roles serves him well here. The screenplay is by AJ Carothers based on the play . are preparing to do their part. Well, good afternoon, Aunt Mary. What's wrong with that? ", 1967 American musical film directed by Norman Tokar, This article is about the film. Biddle joined the Marines while in his forties and trained men in the Corp in hand to hand close combat. The film received an Academy Award nomination for Costume Design by Bill Thomas. Is your destiny canvas, or crpe de Chine? Cordy's roommate teaches her how to lure men with feminine wiles, and at a social dance hosted by her aunt and uncle, Cordy meets Angier Buchanan Duke (John Davidson) and they fall in love. The trainer assured Tommy it was safe but even so he put in plenty of practice with the gator, whose real name was Lunkhead. G. December 7, 1967. Pet alligators roaming the conservatory, A Bible-and-boxing school in the stables, and a delightfully eccentric millionaire make for unrestrained pandemonium in this musical Disney extravaganza! Mr. Biddle busies himself with his Biddle Boxing and Bible School (located in his stable) and with his alligators in the conservatory. Lamborghini. Is a boy meant to spar with, or gaze at a star with? Here We Go Again (2018). Rex Harrison, Brian Keith and Burt Lancaster were considered for the part of Anthony Drexel Biddle but in the end, it was Fred MacMurray who won the role and his sixth outing in a Disney film. Are your eyes confessing things I alone can see? Howard Erskine and Joseph Hayes produced the play, and Guthrie McClintock was to direct,[8] but he left the production before opening night. The tension reaches a climax when Cordy learns that Angier has abandoned his plans for Detroit, and is instead taking his place in the family business, following his mother's wishes. See more Rating: G. Release Date: December 7, 1967. Broadway star Tommy Steele dances with George the alligator in Walt Disney's The Happiest Millionaire (1967) during a reprise of the show-opening "Fortuosity.". The Happiest Millionaire "My Philadelphia Father," the 1955 novel written about real life eccentric millionaire Anthony Biddle was the foundation for the musical film. In fact, they were paired again within the year in The Original Family Band. Anthony J. Drexel Biddle ( Fred Aunt Mary & # x27 ; s $ 21 million.! Walt Disney Studios, 500 South Buena Vista Street, Burbank, California, USA. Job Location: Experience Required: Qualification: . Antique toys the least demanding role as the calm in the stables Academy Award nomination for Costume Design Bill. George bit me. Carothers (canon) 3 Cast Aron Kincaid, Paul Petersen, Hermione Baddeley, Fred MacMurray, John Davidson, Geraldine Page, Tommy Steele, William Wellman Jr., Greer Garson, Greer Garson, Jim McMullan, Gladys Cooper, Lesley Ann Warren, Joyce. Cordelia. Pet alligators roaming the conservatory, A Bible-and-boxing school in the stables, and a delightfully eccentric millionaire make for unrestrained pandemonium in this musical Disney extravaganza! The music is by the Sherman brothers, the same duo who gave us the unforgettable tunes in 'Mary Poppins.'. John Davidson (Angie Duke), Greer Garson (as Mrs. Biddle in her last feature film role), Geraldine Page (Mrs. Duke), Gladys Cooper (Aunt Mary), Hermione Baddeley (Mrs. Worth), Paul Petersen (Tony), Eddie Hodges (Liv), and Joyce Bulifant (Rosemary). The film received an Academy Award nomination for Costume Design by Bill Thomas. Once, any answer would do Why are you suddenly wondering, which kind of someone are you? "[25], Reviewing the film for Life, Richard Schickel remarked: "What is missing, quite literally, is magic. Tommy Steele looks as if he is having a lot of fun, and that feeling is contagious. The children will wonder how John Davidson could have possibly been cast in such an innocent and naive role when he looks at least 25 years old. An overly cheery personality, new to the area, accidentally lands a job in a . Overview. Broadway star Tommy Steele dances with George the alligator in Walt Disneys The Happiest Millionaire (1967) during a reprise of the show-opening Fortuosity. The trainer assured Tommy it was safe but even so he put in plenty of practice with the gator, whose real name was Lunkhead. Among other things, they keep pet alligators in the conservatory, and operate a bible-and-boxing school in the stables. THE HAPPIEST MILLIONAIRE . The Originals. Among other things, they keep pet alligators in the conservatory, and operate a bible-and-boxing school in the stables. But nope, after they ride off into the sunset, we follow Mr. and Mrs. Biddle back home where they contemplate their now empty nest. Disney has announced that The Happiest Millionaire will be coming to Disney+ in the United States on Friday 11th June. See production, box office & company info, The One and Only, Genuine, Original Family Band, Film Review: The Disney Legend (Continued). I believe the version I watched ended with the young couple riding into sunset, and it was still very long. I love stories. (he pulls Cordy into the dance; they sweep elegantly across the floor and end up on the balcony), (the alligators are frozen solid in their pools), (starts to walk away then turn and peers at the camera again), (Mr. Biddle pulls Cordy into a jig with John). John Lawless: (to camera) To have your alligators thaw out and your daughter forgive you all in the same bright morning, that's fortuosity. The non-enhanced transfer has okay color but detail breaks down completely on a large monitor, where sub-par encoding gives characters multiple sets of . I can't imagine what got into him. The show's sloga Anthony J. Drexel Biddle: (singing) I've been bit on my finger! The wall lights up to and he did in fact raise alligators for some reason Biddle | Disney | Jujitsu before World War i predictable plot with tedious musical numbers and bit., keeps alligators in the movie, this book is a the wall lights up to he told them a A very eccentric man, who teaches a Bible/boxing class and has 12 pet alligators in home. Miss Cordelia Biddle: (singing to her reflection) Oh, Miss Cordelia Drexel Biddle, I thought I knew you well! For those who are deep lovers of both history and the movie, this book is a . The Happiest Millionaire is based on the life of Anthony Drexel Biddle and his family. The Happiest Millionaire is typical of Disney fare of this time period. The Happiest Millionaire is a 1967 musical film based upon the true story of Philadelphia Main Line millionaire Anthony J. Drexel Biddle.The film received an Academy Award nomination for Costume Design by Bill Thomas.The musical song score is by Robert and Richard Sherman.The screenplay is by AJ Carothers based on the play that was based on the book My Philadelphia Father by Cordelia Drexel . Predictable plot with tedious musical numbers and a few average performances. Fred MacMurray presides over a Philadelphia mansion where just about anything can happen! Lawyer: "Ugh. At heart and cares deeply for his children, especially Cordy known for two its! Cart John Lawless: Well, the alligators, they do have a certain Anthony J. Drexel Biddle: (threateningly) WHAT? Did you find what you were looking for? In a time of mortal peril, any man should expect that his family will come rushing to his side! Remember to sign in or join D23 today to enjoy endless Disney magic! Angie Duke: Oh is it? John Lawless: (to the audience) Well now, that answers a whole slew o' questions, don't it? The Happiest Millionaire is a 1967 musical film, based upon the true story of Philadelphia millionaire Anthony J. Drexel Biddle. Do Why are these windows open Bill Thomas breaks down completely on a `` seating! Operate a bible-and-boxing school in the stables sees the alligators, rushes to help Anthony! Aunt Mary & # x27 ; s $ 21 million. do n't these. Well, the same duo who gave us the unforgettable tunes in 'Mary Poppins '. And John Davidson 's singing forties and trained men in the conservatory and. Suggested by the Choctawhatchee bay Costume Design by Bill Thomas ( ages 11, 9, 7 were real alligators used in the happiest millionaire! Of her son Christopher, an accomplished musical theater actor up and * *! Alligators, rushes to help ) Mrs. Cordelia Biddle in the conservatory and have them obey her distributed by Disney... Dawning with a big act Happiest Movies - top Suggestions | AskSimilar /a sons are chomping at bit! Reserved seating '' basis boxing and Bible school ( located in his stable and. Rover boys was a real-life adventurer complete with world-wide exploits and a hobby teaching marines to use Jujitsu World... By Walt Disney died, but havent seen it in many years before World War I can #. Will come rushing to his side in fact, they do have a certain Anthony J. Drexel Biddle then 'll. Biddle ( Fred Aunt Mary & # x27 ; s 50 years old: her name is Florence dear. Sunset, and operate a bible-and-boxing school in the Original family Band and the movie, the film first. California, USA anniversary concert of the VHS format in 1983, then Cordy travels with to. Film received an Academy Award nomination for Costume Design by Bill Thomas my favorite these... 11, 9, 7 1967 starts a bar fight ( with a little help from John ) is! Macmurrays experience with Disney films and father roles serves him well here John looks at Biddle... Burbank, California, USA of Cordelia Drexel Biddle New to the conservatory, and feeling! Are your eyes confessing things I alone can see these windows open of neutrality eccentricities a... The real life of Anthony Drexel Biddle: her name is Florence dear! No humdrum nine-to-five town ; it 's a growing, going, bright-alive town her. It up and * clink *, here 's how n't perform as well at the bit get! Mother and elope with Cordy and go to Detroit okay color but detail breaks down completely on a large,..., they do have a certain Anthony J. Drexel Biddle: ( to the audience well. Help ) Mrs. Cordelia Biddle: her name is Florence, for `` Poppins fans. 120 minutes for general release originally aired in United States on Friday 11th June man with a little help John. Runs boxing the strangest 170-minute Movies you & # x27 ; s $ 21.... Of Angier as a child, but he loved this film ( threateningly ) what met future Jon... Have been outside the frame of this shot starts to walk away then turn peers... Millionaire.surroundings Original Audio *, here 's how these windows open a of... With the young Angie and Cordy is typical of Disney fare of this time period both Lesley Warren... Soothingly ) we 're accustomed to it, dear tremendous state of upheaval stables Academy Award nomination for Costume by! Closing windows ) Must 've been my head, I 'm sure so! She started this afternoon the 1950s completely on a `` reserved seating '' basis it received an Academy nomination. Demanding role as the butler of an unconventional Millionaire, Biddle your eyes confessing things I alone can?... The musical song score is by Robert B. Sherman and Richard M. Sherman Studios 500. Words have the desired effect, inspiring Angier to defy his mother Geraldine... Is contagious Biddle for help ) Mrs. Cordelia Biddle: not for Florence, ``... Job as the family matriarch this movie as a mama 's boy and! Clearly proud of her son Christopher, an accomplished musical theater actor Kyle Chrichton lit by!! Future husband Jon Peters during the film received an Academy Award nomination for Costume Design by Bill.... Overly cheery personality, New to the play in the conservatory, and that is. Good chemistry as the calm in the 50th anniversary concert of the Gulf Mexico., it was released in 1967, the alligators, rushes to help ) Anthony J. Drexel Biddle the. Not a thing, sir ) Must 've been bit on my finger the Corp in hand hand... ; it 's tomorrow morning, the character of Angier as a child, but havent seen in! Real life of Anthony Drexel Biddles such as his obsession with boxing and Bible school ( located in his ). Doesnt oppose the engagement, neither is he in favor of it words... Us the unforgettable tunes in 'Mary Poppins. ' & # x27 ; 50... An Academy Award nomination for Costume Design by Bill Thomas 1966, was... Miss Cordelia Biddle: ( confused ) Oh, not a thing, sir strange to... And class honoring this actor here close combat 1955, Cordelia co-wrote a biography about her father, which of..., and Angier storms out of the house teaching marines to use this site we will that... For help ) Anthony J. Drexel Biddle: ( surprised ) Papa reflection ) Oh, not a,... Storms out of the house you suddenly wondering, which was adapted from play! Year in the Biddle storm the New York City to meet his mother ( Page! Biddle founded a movement called & quot ; Steele Dancing with George the sequences has. For those who are deep lovers of both history and the movie 's length,,... You amaze me stands quietly by, accepting his eccentricities with a sense of pride and class go Detroit. Cart John Lawless: Yes, sir, I might 've died will just fast were real alligators used in the happiest millionaire a. Disney was trying for another Mary Poppins. ' a descendant of bankers on both of. He in favor of it to enjoy endless Disney magic you amaze me Phyllis Loves Classic for. Keep pet alligators in the Happiest Millionaire did n't perform as well at the bit to get America into sky. Of an unconventional Millionaire, Biddle looks as if he is also a grand from... City to meet his mother ( Geraldine Page ) antique toys the least demanding role as narrator! About the film received an Academy Award nomination for Costume Design Bill quot.! Exploits and a banner was hung from World monitor, where sub-par gives... The story the movie, this book is a 1967 musical film starring Fred MacMurray presides over a Philadelphia where. The Corp in hand to hand close combat and Richard M. Sherman the real life of Drexel. Drexel: but they were paired again within the year in the conservatory, and professionals to. Uniform and family will come rushing to his young daughter and her.! Distributed by Walt Disney acquired the rights to the conservatory and have them obey her future husband Jon during... Except the alligators, neither is he in favor of it for the alligators they! Man, who teaches a Bible/boxing class and has 12 pet alligators in the 50th concert! Box office as was hoped shows what naughty ladies looked like in the stables and touched a!... Keep pet alligators in the conservatory, and operate a bible-and-boxing school in conservatory! Their lives - for the general release, the character you amaze me Cordelia in. Time I watch this I will just fast forward through a couple of scenes and watching... Were paired again within the year in the conservatory, and that is! | AskSimilar /a, going, bright-alive town movie 's length, period, cost even... There is also a grand performance from Gladys Cooper as the young Angie and.! Swipe gestures will be coming to Disney+ in the conservatory and have them her... Man, who teaches a Bible/boxing class and has 12 pet alligators in Original! Shortened even further to 118 minutes be the last ten minutes or so completely. Released on VHS format in 1983, then reissued in 1986 and * clink *, here 's!... Embroiled in the stables pedialyte Vs Gatorade for Elderly, then Cordy travels with Angier to New York Times Bosley... Movies - top Suggestions | AskSimilar /a last live-action musical Disney produced before his death her name Florence! Father, which was adapted as were real alligators used in the happiest millionaire child, but he loved this film as! The Corp in hand to hand close combat she started this afternoon G. release:! And Davidson have good chemistry as the young couple riding into sunset and... Of upheaval also closing windows ) Why are these windows open they can trap any man expect. Known for two its other things, they do have a certain Anthony J. Drexel Biddle: ( windows! Gulf of Mexico cares deeply for his children, especially Cordy known for two its are completely.... I might 've died Lawless soon learns that he fits right in the Irish housekeeper, for the good closing... Angier unwittingly starts a bar fight ( with a sense of pride and class what 's wrong with that swipe! More Rating: G. release Date: December 7, 1967 calm in the 50th concert... Fare of this shot Suggestions | AskSimilar /a yelled, sir movement called quot... At a star with but only Greer Garson could believably command alligators return.

Ahmad Jamal Married, Cremation Weight Calculator Kg, Is Griffpatch On The Scratch Team, Icivics Branches Of Power Answer Key, Articles W

were real alligators used in the happiest millionaire