whfs tapes

Listen to a short clip of popular WHFS djs, From the West Warick high school girls softball team - I started this blog to upload some 1980's cassette tapes I have of WHFS, 99.1 on the radio dial, Annapolis, Baltimore and Washington. 2012 Ohio State Football Schedule, [1] W248AO was moved to The Candelabra tower in Baltimore, and the power was increased to 250W. THE GOOD RATS- GREAT AMERICAN MUSIC VINYL RIP. But the finished product will please WHFS fans, Schlossberg promises. In May, a sealed VHS tape of the movie sold for $12,679 on eBay. The enthusiastic and knowledgeable interviews by such deejays as "Weasel", who held down the drive-time afternoon weekday slot - about the time that bands setting up across the street were ready for a dinner break before a performance - provided details about the artists' experience, as well as providing plugs for the upcoming appearance. Found 2 tapes from 1980 thanks Ken for digitizing,now all I need to do is try to figure out the songs.Maybe YouTube can figure it out since every time I try . 00. Camarillo Brillo specializes in Cool and Hard to find materials. Its original format was classical, with jazz after 10 p.m. He currently resides in New York City, but his home is wherever history has been made. Find Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and TikTok profiles, images and more on IDCrawl - free people search website. In the late 1980s, a significant change in recording technology became available: VHS Hi-Fi. THREE WHFS TAPES FROM 1977, 1980, 1983 The responses to my WHFS postings have been, quite frankly, very suprising. Elvis Costello: Austin City Limits Recorded 09-20- WHFS 102.3 DAMIEN 11:00-12:30PM 05-03-1983. Fans of the station came to expect certain "regular" features. The station's ownership also changedtwice in 1995. The station dropped the calls on December 1, 2011, becoming WNEW. The tape is a bit static at times, due to our location, and some of the tape is muffled, due to age of the tape. Throughout the 80's I recorded WHFS to cassette, mostly of 99.1 & some 102.3. I have hundreds to trade. The 1994 edition of WHFS Top 99.1 was the third in a series of top-notch retrospectives that included not just the Top 99.1 but also the two home-grown music retrospectives:Just Passin' Thru and The Bestof Dave's Garage, at two hours each. Schlossberg says he came up up with the idea for the film about five years ago, when he saw some photos from a Record Store Day panel held at a Silver Spring record store. The corporate offices of Infinity Broadcasting in New York City were flooded with phone calls and e-mails from irate listeners. Included on most recordings are the infamous djs of WHFS, Weasel, Damian, Tom T, Bob, Dave Issing, Neci, Susan, Janet & others. Listen to a short clip of popular WHFS djs, From the West Warick high school girls softball team -. Local bluegrass band The Seldom Scene would sometimes perform live from the station. WHFS Archive Wiki is a community site that anyone can contribute to. Not only will they hear so many of the old voices once again, theyll get to hear audio clips of some of the DJs at Woodstock; see an interview with one of the two men who founded the station in 1961 (when it played mostly classical, jazz and beautiful music pretty much the antithesis of what WHFS would become); even revisit Bethesdas Triangle Towers building, home to the station in its heyday. At 5 p.m. on Friday Weasel would play (You Gotta) Fight for Your Right (To Party!) your own Pins on Pinterest By C-800 . Copyright 2020 Victory with Paul Daugherty. This project is a service of WETA and is supported by contributions from readers like you. 0 . they are on a few of these tapes. This is a notice that your wiki is eligible for removal. The band classified themselves as an alternative rock . Many musicians, famous and not yet famous, traipsed across the street to do interviews and perform live at the station. Donnelly Name Meaning, Share on Facebook. Listen to a short clip of popular WHFS djs, From the West Warick high school girls softball team - Recently, I discovered my handwritten lists of the songs on those tapes (or at least the songs that were identified on the tapes). Camarillo Brillo specializes in Cool and Hard to find materials. There they were Josh, Bob Here, Cerphe, Weasel, Damian. I remember the Cerphe music theme when I was 10th(?) Hi. Testing using Soundcloud for some audio. QUIZ LAB SUBMISSION This quiz has not been published by Sporcle This quiz has not been published by Sporcle Random Music or Song Quiz Top 100 Songs of 1996 Name the Billboard Year-End Hot 100 singles of 1996. This is precisely what happened in the 1960s, 70s, and 80s, when the D.C.-area FM station WHFS embraced a progressive rock format and became part of rock music history. The concert, often held at Washington's RFK Stadium, features a variety of local and national acts; for example, the 2004 lineup included The Cure, Jay-Z, Modest Mouse, the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, and Cypress Hill. My God, the calls! THURSDAY, December 5 6:00 Fm In The AM There was a distinct counterculture vibe to the station, and an air of informality that sometimes made it sound more like chatting with a friend than listening to the radio. In 1967, Einstein invested in the station and took on the role of general manager. There were no restrictions, said Jonathan Gilbert, who was the longest-serving DJ during WHFSs heyday, broadcasting under the name Weasel. I am really looking forward to the 1977 tape. Please download files in this item to interact with them on your computer. Play lists were based on careful study of what songs were getting the most play combined with the demographics of the audience and sometimes even the input of station advertisers. It featured tracks by Cyclefly, Fuel, Fastball, Elliott Smith, Kid Rock, Eve 6, 3 Colours Red, Puya, and Joydrop . "It was Jake's vision that FM radio and rock-and-roll were about to collide," said Mr. Einstein's daughter Rose, who briefly worked at WHFS. Discover, share and add your knowledge! The New Year's Eve editions had a sense of anticipation about them, rather how it feels to have left work with a party to attend later that evening. At the forefront of all this was station general manager and part-owner Jake Einstein, who had started at the stations advertising department in the md-60s. All Rights Reserved. 1995 was a transitional year for WHFS. At 102.3 on the dial, WHFS is the last surviving . Throughout the 80's I recorded WHFS to cassette, mostly of 99.1 & some 102.3. Any chance you can update these. FLEETWOOD MAC - GOLD DUST RADIO 1975-1988 [CD3/4 OF 6] Friday, May 28th, 2021 HOW TO DONATE Our costs will always be there. Farout Beach Club Ios Events, Alba Chronograph Watch Price, ), an FM station in West Palm Beach, Florida, "HFS radio returns to the airwaves at 97.5 FM Monday", "Jake Einstein, 90; Took Area Radio from Pop to Rock", "FM Query Results -- Audio Division (FCC) USA", "Matt Bush & Rob Timm Join Your Public Radio", "Remembering the days when WHFS ruled a tiny slice of D.C.'s airwaves", Radio: WHFS Off The Air (washingtonpost.com chat). It does come back to radio later, in a new town. So we put him on. A daily topical humor "news" show, The Daily Feed[5] by John Dryden of DC Audio, aired for much of the 1980s on WHFS. VA for shipping his prized possessions. Where Inner Harbor tourists now walk, shop and dine, bay steamers tied up at Light Street wharves waited for passengers and cargo bound for East Coast ports in 1920. objetivos especficos del comercio informal agenda de rutinas diarias Boundary Stones explores local history in Washington, D.C., suburban Maryland and northern Virginia. In the mid-1990s, Liberty Broadcasting published a quarterly magazine titled WHFS Press that was mailed to listeners and available in local music outlets.[6]. And after losing an argument with his "old man" at the dinner table, and feeling compelled to add a song that pre-dated WHFS by about half a century, Bob Waugh allowed that"some times you just have to add a few.". The DJs answered the telephone themselves when requests were called in. Camarillo Brillo - Cool and Hard To Find Toonage, https://whfs-archive.fandom.com/wiki/WHFS_Archive_Wiki?oldid=3918. After it cools, apply several wraps of Teflon tape In 1999, WHFS released a New Music New Video Compilation Volume 1 on VHS that was distributed free at Washington area Tower Records outlets. I corrected my earlier entry. The second links looks good. It featured tracks by Cyclefly, Fuel, Fastball, Elliott Smith, Kid Rock, Eve 6, 3 Colours Red, Puya, and Joydrop. The station is now WPBB. Einstein sold WHFS in 1983, much to the shock and horror of local listeners. WHFS was the callsign of a number of different progressive rock FM radio stations in the Washington, D.C./Baltimore, MD area from the 1960s on. Doyle Bramhall, Eric Johnson, Kenny Wayne Shepard Til' Tuesday Live- Westwood One Vinyl LP Rip. Leader In Me Scope And Sequence, Menu. The nightly average grew to 32,000 listeners and the station gained a reputation for playing an eclectic and maybe even outlandish collection of music. 4b is the sign off. Once this project is complete, I'll be seeking other vintage WHFS tapes to be sent my way. Though nearly always met with harsh criticism, such abrupt format changes are a common practice in the radio industry to prevent situations where soon-to-be-former airstaff and listeners vent their anger on-air at a switch towards management, often with strong language. PhotoHop WHFS was the call sign for three different FM stations in the Washington, D.C./Baltimore, Maryland markets on various frequencies for nearly 50 years. The man with all those WHFS tapes. WHFS David Then Weasel 02-07-1983 AND DAVID 11-15- JEFF HEALEY SEE THE LIGHT LIVE FROM LONDON VHS AUD WHFS, WEASEL, BOB, DAMIAN, AND DIANE, SUMMER OF 1983. They were almost a cult radio station, Little Feats Bill Payne says in the trailer. THe Top 99.1 of 1998 aired on New Year's Day 1999. Throughout the 80's I recorded WHFS to cassette, mostly of 99.1 & some 102.3. Its playlists changed at the whim of whichever DJ was on the air a big no-no in todays pre-programmed radio formats. I also have tapes of Rock over London, & WRVU - 91 Rock, student radio from Vandy in Nashville & even some Rock of the 90's from WAVA Sunday nights. Some of the most iconic WHFS on-air staff included: David Einstein, Damian Einstein, Bob "Here" Showacre, Weasel, Dave Issing, Milo, Tom Terrell, Neci Crowder, Bob Waugh, Rob Timm, Kathryn Lauren, Pat Ferrise, Johnny Riggs, and Gina Crash. It seems everything past 1991 has expired. Keep up the great work! Radio stations that might interest you. It's named Naplesgc because I didn't quite understand how the blog name worked. The former hotbed of commerce fell into disrepair by the 1940s, and in the 1950s, the wharves were demolished to make way forredevelopment into a park. If you are a fan of the 80's, and I'm not talking the 80's pop alternative, but truly awesome music from Rock-a-Billy, folk, classic oldies, modern alternative, some punk, simply, songs not heard on other radio stations, stay tuned. At this time, it was station policy to never play a Top 40 hit. and the New Year's Day retrospective reflected that. Wisdom is not truth. WGTB is a student-run University of the District of Columbia in 1979 for the sum of one dollar. If you plan on tuning into the Hot Stove show tonight on WHFS (105.7 FM) and MASN, please note that the starting time is 7 p.m. on radio and television. / Line ID 0840450211. Emma Archibald, Giant Carlisle, Prince Of Darkness Ozzy, First held in 1990, WHFS has hosted an event called the HFStival, an annual (sometimes semi-annual) day-long (sometimes two-day-long) outdoor concert. UDC sold the signal to C-SPAN in 1997 for $25 million. Where Inner Harbor tourists now walk, shop and dine, bay steamers tied up at Light Street wharves waited for passengers and cargo bound for East Coast ports in 1920. Diane Divola came to the station in 1976 and took over the morning show (6 a.m. to 10 a.m.) and held that spot until 1984. 1997 saw the continued transformation of WHFS in a more Generation-X direction. Playlists. I looked at the photograph, and I said out loud, Oh my God, theyre not all dead yet. John Denver's anthem of West Virginia was inspired by quite a different state. The first employee was Marlin R. Taylor who started three months before they went on the air in August 1961 and left in April of 1963. The final element is compiling the soundtrack, which could take a few more months; the final budget, he says, depends on how much the song rights cost. I since found out but Naplesgc.blogspot.com is here to stay. Sometimes shit happens, WVKayaker, first of all, thank you and everyone who has these vintage HFS recordings for sharing them.Someone should archive every bit of vintage (1970-1990) HFS that still survives and index it (chronologically?) WHFS Archive Wiki. Information is not knowledge. Nos Primavera Sound 2021 Cartaz, California Department Of Natural Resources Jobs, Infinity Broadcasting responded by resurrecting the WHFS format on nights and weekends on Live 105.7 in Baltimore, Maryland, beginning at 7 p.m. on January 21, 2005 with former WHFS afternoon DJ Tim Virgin. Def Jam Fight For Ny Gamecube Rom, The Nighthawks Live At The Bayou, New Years Eve 1981, 2nd To Last Batch Of My CD Compilation Posts. (Sundays were given to "sold airtime" foreign language programs). Yet even as radio frees my eyes to look elsewhere, its words and music paint images in the theatre of my mind, much more vivid than any TV screen could render. Hello! Deejays from the glory days of WHFS-FM, gathered for a May 2016 fundraising concert. Listings for the VHS Black Diamond can go up to $1,200. I will say, these four tapes burned this weekend were very enjoyable, had lots of DJ's recapping the music and may have been overall my favorite four. The station was initially moved to Norfolk Ave. in Bethesda and later to Woodmont Ave. All these locations are within a three-block area. At noon on January 12, 2005, 99.1 WHFS was switched to a Tropical Latin music format. That's a great comment. During the 1970s, WHFS would broadcast music that other FM Rock stations normally overlooked, including cuts as long as 20 minutes. Explore. Let us pick a story for you! Schlossberg hopes to recapture at least some of that magic with Feast Your Ears: The Story of WHFS 102.3 FM, a documentary that should be ready for release this year. (Listed by the station of their final appearance), Former radio station in the BaltimoreWashington metropolitan area, For the current unrelated AM radio station, see, Abrupt format switch to tropical Latin music, Added to Baltimore's WWMX-HD2 and translator 97.5/104.9, Learn how and when to remove this template message, (You Gotta) Fight for Your Right (To Party! White Spruce Tree Facts, MegaUpload is OK for casual file transfer but there are better ways and there's always the concern over copyright complaints.The internet is written in ink, and properly done any piece of data never goes away.And this should be the fate of WHFS. January 5, 2016 at 3:01 PM Beauty is not love. AOL, which had a partnership with Infinity Broadcasting and recognized that many people would miss the old WHFS format, quickly launched an internet-only streaming radio station with a playlist much like that of WHFS.[7]. (left-right: Josh Brooks, Weasel (Jonathan Gilbert), John Hall, Adele Abrams, Ty Ford, Fred Sirkey, Damian Einstein, Cerphe (Don Cerphe Colwell). Download now for free and listen to the radio easily. 9:30 Stereo Tape Review Presenting music on 4- track, pre -recorded Stereo tape for your enjoyment. An Indiana Jones VHS tape from 1983 sold for almost $12,700 on eBay in May Credit: EBay The Raiders of the Lost Ark features Indiana Jones on the hunt to find the Ark of the Covenant before the Nazis. Included on most recordings are the infamous djs of WHFS, Weasel, Damian, Tom T, Bob, Dave Issing, Neci, Susan, Janet & others. WHFSs motto was Feast your ears. And a growing audience did just that. The movie, which was directed by Steven Spielberg, was first released in 1981. Weve noticed that you havent made any recent edits on your wiki this year. In early 1971, the overnight show on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays was inherited by "littlejohn" (John Hendricks), who stayed until August 1972. Weasel also filled his playlist with requests like local DC near hit "Washingtron" by Tru Fax & the Insaniacs and "Yuppiedrone" by The Pheromones. Delbert McClinton and Jonell Mosser together from R.I.P. It does come back to radio later, in a new town. Then a guy named Frank Richards came in one day wearing cutoffs and a leather vest, played me a tape of rock music from Los Angeles, Einstein told The Washington Post in 1983. The Einstein brothers left to join their father/s new station, but Weasel stayed at 99.1. He left in 1976 and Jake Einstein was tapped as G.M. A light bulb just went off, Schlossberg says. WWF Lot of 17 VHS Tapes World Wrestling WrestleMania, Royal Rumble, 1990's $29.99 $9.61 shipping WWF WrestleMania IV Two VHS COLISEUM VIDEO Release w/ Pop-Up HULK HOGAN (3) $42.50 or Best Offer WWF VHS Lot of 11 Grudges Gripes and Grunts Coliseum Video WrestleMania Savage $20.00 1 bid $17.05 shipping 15h 12m From my youngest days I enjoyed listening to it. Its staff was primarily of Generation X -- born between 1961 and 1982 -- with one notable exception: Weasel. (Steven King / Handout photo). The interest that brings me here is radio. In 1999, there was an additional HFStival, headlined by Red Hot Chili Peppers, held at the then-new stadium of the Baltimore Ravens. Sunday nights reverted to Steve "Pontious" who had come up to DC from a popular rock station in New Orleans. He was a bigger-than-life personality, a promoter, just very good at that sort of thing.. A collection of recordings and discussion of WHFS 99.1 during its middle decade. WHFS: Washingtons Godfather of Progressive Rock, http://www.modestoradiomuseum.org/payola.html, http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/09/15/AR20070, http://wtop.com/entertainment/2015/07/radio-rewind-when-whfs-was-d-c-s-, Hulks like Huge Flower Pots: The Ghost Fleet of Mallows Bay, On a Wing and a Prayer: D.C.s Destined-to-Fail Airmail Flights, Time Travel in the "Virgin Vault": Washingtons Womens Boarding House, Visit F. Scott Fitzgerald in Rockville -- And Don't Forget a Bottle of Gin. Lowell George - WHFS 1974 (click here ) Manassas - Amsterdam 1972 (click here ) McCoy Tyner - Tokyo 1972 (click here ) Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells Live (click here ) Miles Davis - Birdland 1959 (click here ) Miles Davis - Complete Wednesday (click here ) Miles Davis - Rainbow 1973 (click here ) Mountain - New York 1974 (click here ) One of the show's features was "Thor's Bluegrass" hosted by DJ Thor. Capture a web page as it appears now for use as a trusted citation in the future. In 1999, WHFS released a New Music New Video Compilation Volume 1 on VHS that was distributed free at Washington area Tower Records outlets. Included on most recordings are the infamous djs of WHFS, Weasel, Damian, Tom T, Bob, Dave Issing, Neci, Susan, Janet & others. Radio shows like Electric Brew, Spiritus Cheese, and Through the Looking Glass played music that wasnt being aired on any other station in the area. And HFS was exactly the opposite, Schlossberg said. The story was covered by local TV stations for many days afterwards, and mentioned nationally by The Washington Post, The Howard Stern Show, and The Today Show.

Baseball Savant Race Not Working, Articles W