why isn't phil harding in the new time team

Tony Robinson seems an entirely likeable guy and does his presenting job with good humour and humility. This series is in my opinion (and hubbys) a satisfying end. while the Facebook page is slowly building! If an episode costs 200,000 and average 1.5 million viewers, would 1 million be willing to pay 20p via mobile phone or subscription towards making it, or 400,000 willing to pay 50p per episode? And now it has been pulled, left to the re-marketing of DVD, and the Internet. For me Time Team was a cultural oasis in a desert of dumb and lazy TV. I thoroughly enjoyed learning about the digs and finds discovered by the crew. Unequivocally, After much anticipation, were delighted to announce that, Personal life. Channel Four seem to be missing a trick that gthe BBC would have undoubtedly have profited from by issuing DVDs of the most important digs over the years. Perhaps one of the other channels will see the folly of C4s ways and pick up the program before its too late? Please read. catty remarks what catty remarks it is like every other tv program if it is not a soap opera or so called reality tv it gets brushed aside ch4 is one big yawn if you dont agree just what else is worth the price of electricity. I agree with the above sentiments, get the brilliant crew back. What idiot made this particular decision to cancel such an interesting and educational series! I loved Time Team in its early format but over the years got fed up listening to the boffins suddenly announcing a high status (Favourite phrase of TT) building eg temple or palace had been found after unearthing a piece of stonework that would get lost in my rockery. look forward to some more american rubbish or more twits in big brother type of rubbish. My parents watch it. Carenza Lewis, Stewart Ainsworth, Helen Geake and geophys genius John Gater will all be returning and are excited about the new sites. . I just love this programme and am very sad to hear that there will be no more. Its December 2016, My Hubby and I live in Queensland Australia,we have Foxtel and have the old shows on a series link and never get tired of watching the Time Team. paleo-osteology, finds experts, experts in the Bronze Age or Rome I am as raptured as Phil squatting in a newly opened trench exclaiming, Oooh! I have always been engrossed by archaeology. Will miss the team, at least we have more 4. C4 have put money into British Archaeology, when no one else could or would presumably, and as has been pointed out, much of that money went into post excavation work, which although not good TV is absolutely vital as far as each site is concerned. pain this is all I can say in thinking that the single most important program ever to put PASSION in archaeology has been culled for giving more profit$ in adverts to run of the mill crap so long TimeTeam but rest assured you have YOUR place in history now! Please ressurect it someone soon. John and his team must have walked miles. He also took part in the various spin-off series such as Time Team Extra (1998), Time Team Digs (2002) and Time Team Live. Regards Peter Mulready Australia. Phil received the MBE in the Queen's 80th Birthday Honours list in 2006 in recognition of his sustainable development and climate change work in the South West region. Little surprise she became a history teacher. I met Phil Harding a few years ago at old sarum castle, Salisbury, we had a lovely chat, hes a fab bloke. Dr Phil Harding is a Music Producer and Engineer, Author, Academic and co-chair of advisory body to music education, JAMES. My children are 13 and 12, and we all like to sit down as a family and watch this programme together and learn something. Just been reading all the comments, and a lot of sensible thinhs have been said, and a few stupid ignorant ones as well. They cant bring it back. !I have just retired and it would be perfect NOW. Time Team is shown in the U.S. on the History Channel as "History Explorer" or something like that. Very disappointing. In their defence producer Graham Dixon issued this statement: "It's not just a steady decline in interest in archeology, with shows being pushed back to ever more obscure digital channels. Yes, we all love the longtime archaelogists (sorry, cant do stars I would say they wouldnt like it either it is rather derogatory of their abilities!) What an absolutely stupid decision to ax Time Team! Sunday afternoons will never be the same, a wonderful programme. I am a mega fan of the show. Suddenly Channel 4 was receptive to the idea of a major archaeology programme. It is the programme really. As late as season 18 the programme was pulling in a respectable audience of 1.1 million, partly because it had built up a loyal following, and partly because the team were still digging great sites. A good friend of mine was a guest archaeologist on several T.T programmes and it was my good fortune to go along on production. If Channel Four thinks TT too expensive there is mileage in the Return To format for some digs showing some of the original programmes and then updating on subsequent research. the only programmes on t v seems to me rubbish what are all the staff going to do as they have been on the show for so long. I could have watched it for another 20 years. if only someone could afford too get all thecast back and go on channel 2 or 5 any ware but not on 4 .. who ever made up there minds to get rid off TT I HOPE there bosses can see the error they are makeing.very sad to see it go. While I wont be involved in the new sites, I was delighted to accept the role of honorary patron of the Time Team project. 20+ years is a remarkable feat for a television program, and this isnt Dr. Who either. I do agree, bringing the new blood in(an ex model, who I dont think was all that good looking) without consulting certain long standing experts, was wrong. . With Season 20 airing next year, and a series of one-off specials running into 2014, there is still new Time Team on the way. I have always wondered what happens to all the dirt that the Time Team dig out of their sites after the 3 days of digging? Like Paul said (June 23 comment) you wished you could join them in the pub at the end for a beer . Lets hope that BBC4 takes up the genre. People understand it isnt treasure hunting well, we probably still have some way to go with that one! Tim points to Over 230 films that have been seen in 36 countries. If there had been a mission statement for the show during those early days, it would have been the democratisation of archaeology. It was my favourite show for many years and definitely, for me, left so many other scientifically accurate but boring-as-bat-poo documentaries in its dust. Much better than most of the rubbish we get now that there are so many channels chasing adverts & broadcasting ever increasing repeats. And Ive always thought tony was perfectly great as the show presenter, interested and fun, a joy to watch. Philip Harding DL FSA (born 25 January 1950) is a British field archaeologist. I think Phil is a genius at being able to read the ground he is digging up. I feel like i know all of the presenters personally they had that effect on people.I watched it evolve over the years and couldnt wait for each knew series. Despite some great new people who learnt fast, expecting them to produce the same calibre of product immediately was just too big a demand. Tim Team has finally brought British history into focus for me. Piss-up and brewery certainly spring to mind. Ive watched TT since it began & never missed an episode, I was in the 20s age group that they are now trying to attract when it started. R.I.P. They seem to have replaced alot of the original cast for more easy on the eye team members, the new historian was a prime example. A brilliant series has been lost to the older viewer. I rue the fact that as a child we used encyclopaedias 20 years out of date. I am an ex water board worker and I still don t know where they obtained the patience to go into a hole in the ground and dig with a trowel. We shall mourn the loss of TT in Australia, although the episodes arrive on our screens years after they are made, which means well be watching them long after the series ends were still with the old format so I cant comment on the new look TT. Some episodes Ive seen over three times each. I will miss it & Sunday afternoons will not be the same-Im all for a petition -there arent many programs on now that are educational & family viewing with no risk whatsoever of offending anyone, there are too many reality programs these days & that seems to be what the young people are watching. To me time team brought all facets of history alive to the ordinary person. or anyone with an IQ of 50 and below, or the attention span a bit longer than a small herring. The 2013 series is so much better, very like the old times. I loved watching time team I want it to come back on the tv I miss watching it on Sunday afternoon. Good bye Mick. He became a familiar face on the Channel 4 television series Time Team. After a career as a professional geologist I researched for a PhD at the Palace of Knossos on Crete. tony and all made history come to life to the public and we {as a family] looked forward to the one great programme aweek but know more,,,,how old are the producers ,if they watched t t perhapes they could learn that life does not always mean MONEY MORE MONEY , What a bummer! The message was simple: this is local archaeology, it is your archaeology. ABC altered the format marginally and called it At the Movies. time team has over the years discovered great things. Time Time could go on indefinitely as long as it found a sympathetic home, and BBC Four would be ideal, their audience demographic would fit far far better than the current Channel 4 one, which is increasingly to try and chase the Reality/Makeover show market at the expense of original programming, and attract audiences that the advertisers prefer to exploit, rather than those with brain. Apart from the marvellous people who made up the Time Team over the years, the way they used the magic of television to highlight features of the dig, overlay geophys visualisations onto the site, extend a fragment of a pot into a full representation, and so on, made this program an exemplar of how to produce truly educational television; and the way the passion of the Team members and their expertise was allowed to shine, coupled with a witty front man, showed that educational does not have to mean dull or dumbed down. Look at Lee Bradys comment 23rd Jan. Theres a link for a petition hes got started. I dread to think just where the Television industry is looking for its viewers In the Night Garden. Completely unable to absorb and assimilate well presented information in an entertaining style, and you completely misread the ironic style of Tony Robinson. I am still watching episodes on Yesterday that Id somehow missed. The huge plus for archaeology in general has been the raising of the profile of a branch of science that prior to this program was the province of a fairly small group of people. This is a disaster in t.v programming where currently all you get is the banal reality of the likes of Toddlers in Tiaras .The Time Team over the years became like welcome friends into your home and you wished you could join them in the pub at the end for a beer. swinging camera booms. Ace Custom: Phil Harding uses a personal shovel that he's modified to suit his needs. Tony, Mick,and Phil will be missed. I have watched Time Team over the years. He has since become an acknowledged expert on flint-knapping and is skilled in lithic reduction using both percussive techniques and pressure flaking, in which, instead of striking the flint with blows, pressure is exerted on the edges to shape the tool. Im sorry no-ones put in a word for the lovely Raksha always good-natured, hard working and incredibly knowledgeable. Also, a Presenter is not supposed to insult the experts he is reporting on. - The most complained about X Factor moments - The Forgotten presenters of Top Gear I will miss it and them dreadfully. With regards to a few folks comments about Tony Robinson. In my mind, one of the contributing factors to the programmes demise, were the increasing number of digs being done on behalf of professional bodies such as English Heritage, and local authorities. Yes, the original core team with Carenza, and then Helen Geake, were great. Id like to know where. However over the years TT seem to have worked on sites that have been known about for a long time, but have remained unexplored for whatever reason. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Just heard about the axing of Time Team what a shame! This site provides further information on the numerous elements of Phil's past and present career, his books and music available to buy, news updates, interviews, a selection of photographs, plus a new discography and a new 'jukebox' player showcasing some of the huge . No, sadly when it comes to TV, viewers dont get what they want, they get what they are given Trouble is, the people who make these decisions can be misguided, and very stupid. And the journey is not quite over yet. Totally gutted Time Team is going. here was atransfixing series, turning elitist subject into everyday knowledge for the ordinary man. RIP MICK ASTON. While filming Timesigns, Tim and Mick regularly discussed other ways to bring archaeology to a television audience. One of the best programs EVER. Thanks. Find out more here. Apparently the formidable Matron Huppatz wasn't too fond of nurses' boyfriends coming to visit either. And as for the Ooh.. Ah, that be cer monial, that be in the dialect of a village idiot just about summed up the whole package. While the TV producers have obviously ruined a formula that entertained and educated millions of people worldwide for a couple of decades, I assume it is now beyond recall. Hope it returns anne from Ontario Canada. With Tony Robinson, Phil Harding, John Gater, Stewart Ainsworth. The more TV appeal execs tried to inject, the less people wanted to watch. Your email address will not be published. I saw the same program, Justin, and I agree entirely! Bravo to your remaks. You are going to be missed more than most of us realise. I was introduced to Time Team when visiting relatives in Selby and have loved this family of buffs who presented the UK to the world at large. Now British television can be as dumbed down and offensive as American television has become. Channel 4 you need looking at!!! Following the successful launch of a fan-led Patreon campaign in December, Time Team has now confirmed what could be the first of many digs. will take time, i was successfull on a Campaign on another show before so i know what i have to do, The Campaign is to have a new lease of life on another tv channel. Stranger things have happened! There are many pagan archeologists too. He has become a familiar face on the Channel 4 television series Time Team. Thank you to all of Time Team for 20 wonderful years. PATREON XMAS OFFER For a limited time only, enjoy 16% off Patreon membership (equivalent of 2 months free) if you sign up for annual membership by Sunday 1st January 2023, 12pm (GMT). Required fields are marked *. While Time Team unquestionably experienced problems, particularly in its final years, this much-loved show was an astonishing success, propelling modern archaeology into the public conscious as never before. Shame on Chanel 4! A group of archaeologists have 3 days to discover historical artifacts in different sites around Britain. Eat umble pie you are having a laff. Far from a media concoction, the unique individuals on Time Team were filmed going about their work with an honesty and integrity that has seen the series heralded as Britains first reality television show. The collection of grave goods dubbed the Harpole Treasure after the name of the local parish has been dated to AD 630-670. Also, the most recent posters may not have heard of Mick Astons premature death. well done on ending one of the best programs on tele. Youre right about More4 but try Discovery History which is showing what I think must be very early ones judging by the colour (and amount!) I had drawn him into the subject a few years after we married but I had the privilege of degree training. It is made up of real people and I have learnt so much from it. Yes, Upton Castle was a bit of a mess in terms of style, but it held our interest. If ch4 wanted to save money why not repeat them from programme 1 . Philip 'Phil' Harding, FSA (born 25 January 1950) is a British field archaeologist. With Mick in his amazing technicolor jumpers playing father and patient teacher, fielding Tonys laymans questions, Phil as the eccentric uncle who could dig with the instincts of a terrier after a bone, John and his whiz-bang geo-phys, and all the other children hard at work in their specialties, the programme wasnt merely TIME TEAM it was TIME FAMILY. We only recently discovered the Time Team show and rush to ensure we dont miss a show. 4 April 2012. Robinson - by then Sir Tony Robinson - paid a most touching tribute to him. Is there any posibility of obtaining a copy of this and the program on the barge in the river Rhine. This article is 10 years old but like a spoiler. Im in my mid 40s. Very sorry to see Time Team being finished. I cannot believe that Mick Aston has died, so very young, I thought he would go on forever. 2003Michelle Johnsonm. Too bad for the changes they made, these new guys tried hard, but you cant replace what the old team had, the magic, the small things, Still, Im grateful for what they achieved and for what it has meant to me and still does. Many of us have watched Time Team for ages and have been educated (along with Tony) on the ins and outs of Archaeology and did not need another presenter to ask superfluous questions (nice though she was). It follows so much what has been prevallent in recent years on Brittish TV and thats dumbing down. Whilst not filming Phil still works as a field archaeologist with Wessex Archaeology, and has been involved in a project listing all known Palaeolithic sites in Britain. Off now to have a quick dig in my garden then on to Salisbury to stalk Phil Harding.intelligence soooo sexy. TIME Team favourite Phil Harding has revealed he no longer carries a knife because "you almost feel like a thug". I think Tony is a good fit for this program. The UK has always been relied on for quality productions and Time Team epitomised these values, but obviously, some young Turk in a rented tux has been allowed to jazz it up. Do 5 day digs instead. age is no barrier in archaeology and many of us dont start until our 40s and 50s. Never having been colonized by them I guess we in Ireland may have a slightly less reverential view of their civilizing effect on the native culture. We cannot wait to share this magic with you! Much as I still love watching them (though, annoyingly, More 4 often shows the same programme a week later), I can hardly bear to think there will be no more new ones. And key graphic purporting to show the significant shift in building alignments between two phases did not actually do that but simply repeated the original layout! How do you know if theres a virus on your phone? I am sure there are more sites for them to investigate. and Im so grateful to all the Time Team members for a wonderful 20 seasons. Harding was a regular on Time Team from the first series in 1994 until its cancellation in 2013. I am Canadian-born but living near Atlanta, Geogia, and travel to the UK often. Agree 100%, they should have left it well alone. The team of Tony, Mick, Phil, Stuart, John, Carenza, Brigid, Guy, etc etc filled me with warmth and satisfaction. irritating but he was a part of a recipe that worked for a long time. and have watched it since the begining. Chronicle. Our investigation of the villa and the landscape it occupies will aim to preserve and enrich our understanding of the past and the people who inhabited it. if there is a petition please let me know.i would like to put our names down. Have to admit they are probably the main reason I now spend a lot of my spare time out on the Thames foreshore with the Thames Discovery Programme- enjoying it hugely, and probably have them to thank, they showed us that anyone can get involved. So disappointed to hear the show has been axed. The original team brought an impressive breadth of skills to the programme. I wish! Sad Time Team series being finished. Therefore, Phil Harding's lucky days are Sundays and Saturdays and lucky numbers are: 4, 8, 13, 17, 22 and 26 .

Ctv News Poll Question Today, What Happened To Rudy On Texas Metal, Articles W

why isn't phil harding in the new time team